This vegetarian option can be frozen prior to cooking and stored for up to 4 weeks.
- 1 pack of puff pastry
- 450 g (1lb) supervalu beetroot
- 200 g (7 oz) supervalu goats cheese
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) supervalu spinach
- 1 supervalu onion, diced
- 30 g (1 oz) supervalu goodness pine nuts
- 30 g (1 oz) supervalu cranberries (optional)
- 1 supervalu egg (egg wash)
- 15 g (½ oz) supervalu butter
- 1 tblsp supervalu balsamic vinegar
- 1 tblsp supervalu olive oil
- supervalu salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Place the beetroot on a baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for 40 – 45 minutes until tender. Set aside to cool, then remove the skins.
- In the meantime, put the butter into a large pan and melt over a moderate heat, add the onions and cook until softened and translucent, add the spinach and cook for 2–3minutes until just wilted. Remove from the pan, place in a colander and squeeze to remove excess moisture.
- Cut the beetroot into 1cm dice, and place in a bowl with the spinach, balsamic vinegar, onion, pine nuts, cranberries (if using) and goats cheese, season and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly-floured surface, cut out 6 x 15cm squares. Place the beetroot mixture into the centre of each pastry square then brush the pastry edges with eggwash.Seal the pastry to form a parcel.
- Place in a preheated oven for 20–22 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Serve immediately with baby potatoes drizzled with butter and some green beans.
Recipe courtesy of Supervalu
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Fragrant Chicken Curry with Basmati Rice
- Fish and Chips with Minted Peas: Kevin Dundon
- Fiery Fajitas with Salsa: Kevin Dundon