Served with white asparagus wrapped in basil, lychee, horseradish and white asparagus broth
- 2 kg salted butter
- wood shavings
- 150 g cornflour
- 150 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder.
- 80 ml sparkling water
- 2 basil leaves per portion
- artichoke and asparagus mixture (made earlier)
- 16 asparagus strips
- butter for cooking
- 8 oysters – one per portion
- 600 g trimmed asparagus
- 20 g salted butter
- 200 g milk (plus 100g milk back-up if needed)
- 100 g creamv (plus 100g cream back-up if needed)
- salt and sugar to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 gelatin leaves
- 200 g diced jerusalum artichokes
- 200 g diced white asparagus
- salted butter
- pinch maldon salt
- caster sugar (to taste)
- 500 g lychee juice
- 6 g agar agar
- 2 g xantham gum
- 22 whole fresh lychees
- 30 g sweet horseradish
- 2 g citric acid
- squeeze lemon juice
- salt and sugar to taste
- 8 medium lobsters (1 lobster per portion)
- 400 g smoked butter (400g of smoked butter per lobster)
- Get rolling pin and roll/flatten butter between two sheets of baking parchment until it gets to an even layer 2cm thick. Place in freezer while you prepare your Smoking Gun. Prepare smoke gun by placing wood shavings into barrel of smoke gun.
- Take top layer of baking parchment off butter and place butter on rack in smoking tray. Put on lid and smoke for twenty minutes. Leave to rest for ten minutes. Vacuum Pack butter and place in fridge until needed.
- Mix well and then divide dry ingredients in half. Set two bowls aside.
- Take 2 basil leaves per portion, and pipe your chilled artichoke and asparagus mix into the leaf. Fold up basil leaves round mixture, to form a cocoon.
- Add sparkling water to one bowl of dry batter ingredients and whisk together.
- Take your other bowl of dry batter ingredients and coat oysters in dry mix before dipping in wet mix. Once covered in wet mix, fry off in Deep Fat Fryer for 4 minutes at 180C.
- Place oyster beignets in smoking machine for 3 minutes.
- Repeat batter steps with basil leaves, coating in dry mix and dip in wet mix before frying off 3 minutes.
- Drain and place on tray until plating up. Season just before plating beignets.
- Slice asparagus spears into strips with mandolin. Fry off asparagus strips in a pan with butter, water and a little seasoning.
- Shuck oysters and place on tray until needed.
- Simply sweat the chopped small asparagus in the Thermomix with the butter at 100C until soft. Add sugar and salt at start. Scrape off sides to ensure that it cooks evenly. When cooked, add milk and cream, bring to boil cook for a further 4 mins and blitz until smooth. Pass through a fine chinnoise. Add lemon to taste.
- Take 200mls of soup and 3 leaves of gelatin. Mix with the diced vegetables and place in piping back and chill mix in fridge until needed.
- Keep remainder of your broth, season and set to one side, which will be poured at plating.
- To cook artichokes, fry off in olive oil until golden and set aside until need. To cook white asparagus, simply sweat in Thermomix with butter at 90c for 4 minutes. Taste with salt and sugar. Take some of the butter as we don’t want the asparagus to get greasy. Add sweated asparagus to artichokes and leave to one side.
- Place half of lychee juice in pot and bring to the boil with Agar Agar. Add remaining lychee juice to Thermomix. Add xantham gum, citric acid, stoned lychees and horseradish to your boiling Agar and lychee juice mix. Add a little salt, a little sugar and squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Blitz for a few minutes until smooth. Take mixture out and pass through a fine chinnoise. Place in bowl and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Place pan of water on to boil before starting to prepare lobster. To prepare lobster: place knife at back of head and cut through towards face of lobster. Pull tail off lobster. Break the middle flap of the lobster back and pull out entrails. Make sure all entrails are removed. Pull off both claws. Discard head and entrails.
- Place larger claw in boiling water for 3 minutes approximately. Place second smaller claw in after 1 ½ minutes. And after 2 minutes add the tail to the pot. (The timings will depend on the size of the lobster pieces – gauge timings accordingly). Remove from pan and refresh in a bowl of iced water until cool.
- Melt butter in saucepan over a low heat. Take scissors and cut shell along underside of lobster tail and peel. Crack shells of claws with the back of a kitchen knife. Separate shell from claw meat.
- Place 200g of melted smoked butter in Vac Pac bag and add both claws. Place 200g of melted butter (remaining) in Vac Pac bag with tail. Welding & sealing 2.5/16 seconds. Place into a preheated waterbath at 58C for 15 minutes. Take bag out and place in bowl of iced water.
- Warm lychee gel in Thermomix to 80C and put in squeezy bottle.
- Take lobster out of vac pac bag and bring to room temperature. Drain from butter.
- Add lobster to tray with beignets of oysters and basil leaves and heat in oven at 150C until warm to touch. Bring remainder of your soup/broth to boil and simmer on a low heat until plating up.
- Garnish- Salad Bernet
- Place 4 whole lychees in bottom of bowl.
- Squeeze lychee gel into bottom of bowl in little dots. Add warm lobster, basil beignet and smoked oyster beignet. Add asparagus strips. Place soup in serving jug. Finish with some leaves of Salad Bernet.
- Take smoke gun to plating area with cloches and pump in smoke before serving. Send smoked filled cloches into room, with sauce set apart.
More by Brian Topping:
- Treacle pudding with toasted hazelnuts
- Hake with herb crumb, potato cake and polenta chips
- Seared T-bone pork with apple cider sauce