- 325 g plain flour
- 150 g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.50 tsp ground cloves
- 0.50 tsp ground ginger
- 0.50 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, large
- 120 g stork baking liquid
- 1 tblsp golden syrup
- 1 x packet boiled fruit sweets
- for decoration:
- red and green ribbon
- 1 x pkt royal icing or writing icing tubes
- Preheat the oven to 180c(fan)/200c/Gas Mark 5.
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg, Stork Baking Liquid and syrup. Stir together until the dough starts to come together. Knead the dough until smooth.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured worksurface.
- Cut out the biscuits using large and small star cutters, transfer to the lined baking tray, spaced a little apart.
- Cut out the centres of the some of the biscuits using a small round cutter and insert a boiled sweet.
- Using a skewer make a hole in the biscuits so that they can be strung with ribbon once baked.
- Create a hole in each biscuits with a skewer so that they can be hung with a ribbon later.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Check that the holes for the ribbons are still open by re-inserting the skewer.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Thread a ribbon through each hole of the cooled biscuits and decorate with icing.
2 x baking trays, non-stick baking paper, large mixing bowl, scales, measuring spoons, silicone spatula, wire cooling rack, star shaped cookie cutters, small round cutter, ribbons – green and red, skewer, scissors, jug