This simple kitchen essential recipe makes about 350ml
- 2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 basil leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes on a low heat until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the tomatoes along with their juice and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Adjust the salt, pepper and sugar as necessary. At the last minutes, shred the basil leaves and add to the sauce.