Served with potato and herb stuffing and a port and cherry sauce.
- 200 g mashed potato
- 2 tblsp feesh thyme [chopped]
- 1 tblsp fresh rosemary [chopped]
- 2 tblsp fresh parsley [chopped]
- 500 g fresh bresdcrumbs
- 500 g butter
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2.3 kg (up to 2.5kg) silver hill duck
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice
- 4 ripe plums halved and pitted
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch cumin
- 3 tblsp golden syrup
- 3 tblsp honey
- 150 ml port
- 2 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- dash of soy sauce
- 1 tblsp duck fat
- 2 shallots [chopped]
- 200 ml port
- 200 g morello cherries
- 300 ml stock
- 2 tblsp cherry or plum jam
- Make your stuffing in advance by adding the onion to the melted butter. When the onion’s are soft add the herbs and breadcrumbs, stir in well. Then add the mashed potato and mix well. Season with Salt and pepper. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Wash the duck inside with cold water and sprinkle cavity with some salt
- Brown the duck on all sides in a hot frying pan then place on some chopped root vegetables in a roasting tray
- Stuff the duck with the cool stuffing and seal the cavity with the heel of a sliced pan.
- Place in the oven at 220°C for 10 minutes
- Then reduce the heat to 170°C. The duck will take 1.5-2 hours to cook depending on the size
- Keep the sediment for the roasting tray after pouring off an excess fat
- Lightly brown the shallots in a pan approx. 10-15 mins.
- Add the port and cherry Jam and reduce by half
- Add chicken stock and reduce by a further half. Finish by adding the cherries and simmer for 20 mins.
- Oven heated to 200°C
- Grease a shallow baking tray. Place plums cut side up in a single layer in the try. Whisk together the organise juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin in a bow and drizzle over the plums.
- Bake in the oven for 15 min until plums soften and the sauce is bubbly.
- Bring all the ingredients together in a small pot and bring to the boil and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Brush the duck every 20 mins with the glaze while cooking.
- The duck is cooked when the juices run clear
- Place stuffing onto plate with carved duck. Arrange plums alongside the stuffing. Then cover with the port and cherry sauce.