Easy when you know how!
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 x 7.5g sachet of easy-blend dried yeast
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- For the Basic Topping:
- About 3 tbsp tomato sauce per pizza
- 175g mozzarella cheese, grated
- For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 75ml red wine
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar ( optional)
- Preparing the Pizza Dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, easy-blend yeast and salt, Make a well in the flour and pour in 175ml of tepid water and the olive oil. Using your fingertips, slowly bring the flour in from the sides and continue to mix until a rough dough forms.
- Turn the dough out on a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes, if the dough is too sticky add a little extra flour until it becomes smooth. Form the dough into a ball and place in a clean oiled bowl. Cover with a damp tea towel or cling film and set aside in a warm spot for about 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size ( you can prepare the tomato sauce while the dough is rising).
- Punch the dough down on a lightly floured work surface then knead again for a minute and place back in the bowl to rise for a further 10 minutes.
- Preparing the Tomato Sauce: Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the garlic and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes until soft. Stir in the dried chilli and oregano and fry until you can smell the aroma!
- Add to tomatoes and wine, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until reduced. Season with salt and pepper. You may want to add a tsp of sugar if the tomatoes are a little too acidic.
- Preparing the Pizza: Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Divide the dough into 3-4 pieces and roll out into very thin rounds. Sprinkle flour onto a baking sheet and place a pizza base on it.
- Spread the base with tomato sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella or add chosen toppings.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the cheese turns golden and the crust becomes crisp. Serve straight away.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa
- Bloody Mary Oyster Shooters and a Shallot Mignon