- 125g (4½oz) plain flour
- 75g (2½oz) wholemeal flour
- 200g (7oz) rolled oats, plus extra for sprinkling
- 75g (2½oz) soft light brown sugar
- 1 tblsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 250ml (9fl oz) milk
- 2 large free-range eggs, separated
- 3 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tblsp cold coffee
- 2 bananas, mashed, plus 1 banana, cut into 12 slices
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6. Line a muffin or cupcake tray with 12 paper cases.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Measure the milk in a large measuring jug and whisk in the egg yolks, oil, coffee, and mashed bananas. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the contents of the jug. Using a spatula, mix together until just combined. Fold through the egg whites, then divide the mixture amongst the paper cases.
- Push a slice of banana into the centre of each muffin and sprinkle with oats. Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The muffins will keep for 4–5 days in an airtight container or for up to 3 months in resealable bags in the freezer.