Here is an alternative to the standard burger, the chicken of the sea, Mackerel and a tomato based relish, to smear in the Bap. You can modify the flavour of the burgers by using different types of mackerel, different dressing and garnishes. It all depends on individual tastes.
- 4 mackerel fillets, have your fish monger give you butterfly fillets, pin boned
- taco seasoning
- seasoning i.e. salt and pepper (as required)
- tomato relish/chutney
- salad leaves, example, rocket leaves
- In a large mixing bowl, place the flower and add the taco seasoning and a pinch of salt.
- Toss the filleted mackerel in the flour mix, front and back being sure to coat both sides generously.
- In a large hot frying pan, fry the mackerel in the olive oil until it is a golden brown (approx. 1 to 1½ minutes on both sides), the fish fillet starts to close together. Season to taste.
- Coat the bap or burger bun in mayonnaise and put a couple of fillets in each.
- Serve each burger in a floury bap/burger bun with the tomato chutney and The mixed salad leaves, e.g. Rocket leaves.