- 1 kg mussels
- 0.50 grated carrot
- leak (optional)
- diced onion
- cider / this can be replaced with apple juice if recipe is being cooked for children
- seasoning (salt and pepper, as required)
- Soften the finely chopped onion in a hot pan with a dash of oil.
- Add grated carrot and sweat for 1 minute, add the cider then throw in the mussels. Cover with a lid and simmer for approx. 2 minutes.
- Toss the mussels with a large spoon to ensure all have been coated in the juices.
- Serve in a large bowl in the centre of the table for all to savour. Homemade chips would be a nice side accompaniment.