A wonderfully simple recipe from top baker Lilly Higgins
- 180 g (7oz) sultanas
- 180 g (7oz) raisins
- 100 g (3 1/2oz) chopped dried dates
- 300 ml (10floz) hot tea (2 normal teabags and add 1 earl grey/cinnamon & liquorice/chai etc.)
- 1 egg
- 150 g (5 1/2oz) brown sugar
- 225 g (8oz) self raising flour
- 2 tsp. mixed spice
- 1-2 tbsp cointreau/ orange flavoured liquor
- 2 tblsp honey, to glaze
- The day before make the tea and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Place the sultanas, raisins and chopped dates into a bowl. Remove the teabags from the pot and pour the hot tea over the fruit. Cover and leave overnight to soak.
- The next day preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 1 lb (5x8’’) loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk the egg. Add to the fruit mix along with the sugar, flour and mixed spice. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 1 ½ hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and while still quite warm brush the top with the honey.