A great festive recipe from Paul Flynn for Lidl
- 2 deluxe fresh whole irish ducklings
- 3 tblsp deluxe orange whiskey marmalade
- 500 ml water
- salt and pepper
- fresh herbs; thyme, bay or sage
- *luxury fruit and nut stuffing* (optional, see recipe on rté food)
- Preheat your oven to 220° C.
- Trim the excess fat from inside and outside the ducks at both ends. Keep some of the excess fat aside.
- Gently score the skin of the ducks to allow some of the fat to run out during cooking, about 4 cuts per breast will do.
- If using the stuffing, put it into the cavities but don’t overstuff or compress it too much as this will result in a heavy stuffing. Place a little of the excess fat at the mouth of the cavities to keep the stuffing from drying out.
- Rub salt and pepper onto the skin.
- Put the herbs and the water into a deep roasting tray, place a wire rack securely on the tray and the ducks on the rack, then place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Turn down the oven to 180°C and leave to cook for a further 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Melt the whiskey marmalade and brush evenly over the ducks and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- When the ducks are glazed and golden, remove and keep warm. It is important to let the ducks rest for approximately 15 minutes before carving.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Pancake Tuesday Countdown: Apple, pecan, ice-cream
- Countdown to Pancake Tuesday: Paul Flynn's P'Cakes
- Chicken, Chorizo, smoked paprika cream: Today Show