A simple family main recipe from Catherine Fulvio
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 0.25 tsp ground turmeric
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.5 tsp garam masala
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 3 chicken breasts, diced in 4cm pieces
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1 cm root ginger, grated
- 4 tblsp ground almonds
- 150 ml chicken stock (or more if required)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tblsp chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1.5 cup basmati rice, well rinsed
- 2.25 cup chicken stock
- 0.5 tsp turmeric (measure carefully)
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan or wok, and add the onion, garlic and chilli and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes over a medium heat without brown.
- Stir in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala, salt and tomato puree.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan and sauté over a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Pour in the coconut milk, ginger and add the ground almonds.
- Stir in the chicken stock and simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the chicken is just tender. Serve with yellow rice.
- Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and saute until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add rice, stock, salt, and turmeric. Bring the rice to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed – this should take about 18 minutes.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto