A delicious side from Paul Flynn, perfect for a barbeque!
- 1 glug of olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 4 thick slices of smoked bacon (diced)
- 1 tin butterbeans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tblsp tomato puree
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tblsp maple syrup
- 1 sprig of thyme
- Heat the oil over a gentle heat and add the garlic.
- Carefully cook until golden, but no more, this will give you a roasted garlic oil if you take it too far the garlic will burn.
- Add the butter, bacon, celery, thyme and onions.
- Cook slowly for 15 mins and add the tomato purée, smoked paprika and chicken stock
- Finally add the beans
- Cook for 5 more minutes, stir in the maple syrup, salt and pepper and serve
More by Paul Flynn:
- Lunch all Wrapped Up: Fresh Mackerel Wraps
- Pan Fried Monkfish, Creamy Brandade: Today show
- Bacon, onion, potato and sour cream tart/pizza