This MasterChef Ireland dish is served with a black pudding in a wine reduction, parsnip crisp and parsnip purée.
- 2 pork cheeks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carrots
- 5 parsnips
- 1 l chicken stock
- black pudding
- 1 fig
- 5 shallots
- 2 tblsp sherry vinegar
- 500 ml wine
- 5 apples
- garlic flower
- wild sage
- bay leaf
- Heat ½ milk and ½ stock (Enough to cover pork cheeks in oven dish).
- Fry cheek on all sides and then put into oven dish with milk and stock with thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper, put in oven at 150°C and cook for 4 hrs.
- Pudding: Fry black pudding. Heat some olive oils in a frying pan and sauté 2 shallots (finely chopped) for about 5mins until they are soft and begin to caramelise, (add meat trimmings if you have them and brown). Add 2 thyme sprigs, bay leaf and the sherry vinegar. Deglaze pan with the red wine and bring rapidly to boil, reduce by 2/3s until it reaches a rich syrup consistency, add stock and reduce by half again, season and strain through a fine sieve.
- Pour wine jus over pudding and leave aside.
- Apple jelly: Skin 4 apples and chop into pieces. Cook apple with some water, chilli, star anise, cloves until tender and sieve through a muslin cloth.
- Place gelatine in bowl with ice and water.
- Reheat the juice and add squeezed gelatine
- Cool and place in a tray and put straight into fridge and set
- Lentils: Cut 2 cloves garlic, 3 shallots, 1 carrot and 1 celery stick into small very small pieces and sweat in pan with knob of butter. Add stock and then lentils and cook until done
- Parsnip puree: Chop 4 parsnips into small pieces and fry in butter. When nearly cooked through, add stock and reduce it down by half. Then add cream and reduce it by half again, season to taste. Purée in blender and put it the sieve, leave in warm place.
- Parsnip and apple crisps: Peel 1 parsnip and slice very thinly with mandolin. Slice 1 apple very thinly with mandolin so as star in the middle. Heat oil to about 175°C and add crisps (only take about 3 minutes). Set aside on greaseproof paper.
- To plate: Mix lentils and black pudding and put in middle of plate, pour some red wine jus over, slice the pig cheek and place on top. Top with a little apple jelly. Place the parsnip and apple crisps around the plate.
More by Sinead Considine:
- Plum Tart, plum purée and star anise and cinnamon ice cream
- Hake and tomato pasta with sweet potato crisps
- Lamb with fennel puree and fennel confit