Paul Flynn has teamed up with Lidl to make this comforting family dinner - delicious and nutritious.
- 2 tblsp vita d’or sunflower oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 250 g dulano smoked bacon lardons
- 1 kg inisvale irish beef lean steak mince
- 2 tblsp fresh meadow organic tomato ketchup
- 3 tblsp steak house marinade
- 10 medium potatoes peeled and halved
- 4 parsnips peeled and cut into chunks
- 200 g manor vale grated medium cheddar
- splash of morning fresh milk
- 1 tblsp dairy manor butter
- kania salt and pepper
- Put the onion and bacon into the pot with the sunflower oil and cook slowly for 15 minutes with a lid on the pot, stirring every now and then.
- Turn up the heat and start to colour the onions and bacon with the lid off for a further 5 minutes until they start to brown, the bottom of the pot will colour as well but that’s OK.
- Add the steak mince and break up, cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the potatoes and parsnips on the boil.
- Add the steak marinade and ketchup to the mince and cook for a further 15 minutes, season and set aside.
- When the potatoes and parsnips are cooked, drain, add the milk, butter, salt and pepper and mash until you get the texture you like.
- Place the meat into a baking dish or divide between 2 dishes if freezing, top with the mash and then cheese (it’s at this point that the dish is ready for freezing).
- Bake in an oven at 180°C/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Paul says: "If cooking from frozen, remove the dish from the freezer and allow defrosting overnight in the fridge, then cook as above."
More by Paul Flynn:
- Lunch all Wrapped Up: Fresh Mackerel Wraps
- Pan Fried Monkfish, Creamy Brandade: Today show
- Paul Flynn's Seafood Chowder