A tasty squid starter from Nick McClune
- spring onion
- soy sauce
- Peel and deseed cucumber and cut into a small dice. Take half of a red chilli and chop finely.
- In a dish combine Soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and combine with the cucumber and chilli.
- Squid cleaned to remove sack and quill. Tube and tentacles retained. The tube will then need to be opened up and cleaned of any residue and scored lightly with a sharp knife in a criss-cross pattern. In a very hot, lightly oiled pan flash fry the cleaned tube and tentacles for approx. 2 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Chop the spring onion, garlic and chilli and lightly cook in the same pan as the squid was cooked in making sure not to burn the garlic. Return squid to pan a toss lightly.
More by Nick McClune:
- Rack of lamb with spiced cous cous and oven-roasted vegetables
- Pan roasted Moroccan spiced quail
- Rabbit and Black Pudding Roulade