A hearty main dish from MasterChef Ireland
- lamb loin
- 4 x fennel
- 4 potato-baby new
- olive oil
- chicken stock
- lemon rind
- 2 shallots
- red wine
- sherry vinegar
- chicken stock
- Cut fennel into slices and place in baking dish. Cover with olive oil, add garlic and herbs and lemon zest and place in oven for about 50 minutes @ 140°
- Fry up some butter in the pan and add the diced fennel, sweat and when soft, add chicken stock, reduce by half and add cream, reduce by half again and blend in blender and put through sieve.
- Clean potatoes and place in baking dish and drizzle with olive oil and season and place in oven for 30 minutes at 180°
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and sauté 2 shallots (finely chopped) for about 5mins until they are soft and begin to caramelise, (add meat trimmings if you have them and brown). Add 2 rosemary sprigs, bay leaf and the sherry vinegar. Deglaze pan with the red wine and bring rapidly to boil, reduce by 2/3’s until it reaches a rich syrup consistency, add stock and reduce by half again, season and strain through a fine sieve.
- Sear lamb in very hot butter for 2 minutes on each side and place in oven for 8 minutes, rest and slice
- Place fennel confit on plate and lay slices of lamb on top, spoon puree on the plate in a semi circle, add three little potatoes next to the lamb. Spoon some jus over lamb and serve.
More by Sinead Considine:
- Plum Tart, plum purée and star anise and cinnamon ice cream
- Hake and tomato pasta with sweet potato crisps
- Braised pork cheek with lentils