A gorgeous diabetic treat from Donal Skehan.
- 150 g margarine
- 75 g soft light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 75 g plain wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150 g rolled oats
- 50 g raisins
- 50 g chocolate chips (or chocolate cut into small pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF/Gas 5).
- Cream together the margarine and sugar. Beat in the egg, 2 tablespoons water and the vanilla essence.
- Sift together the flour, spice and bicarbonate of soda, tipping any bran in the sieve into the bowl.
- Stir through the oats, raisins and chocolate, then stir into the egg mixture.
- Line baking sheets with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
- Place walnut-sized pieces of the cookie mixture onto the baking sheets and flatten slightly with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa