Like carrot cake? This is even better! With creamy frosting and cute decorations, it's a real show stopper.
- 300 ml corn oil
- 4 medium eggs
- 250 g light soft brown sugar
- 2 tblsp dr. oetker select vanilla extract
- 150 g sultanas (chopped?)
- 100 g walnuts (chopped?)
- 1 pumpkin (500g peeled weight, coarsely grated?)
- zest and juice of ½ orange (2 tbsp juice)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 400 g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp dr. oetker bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 tsp dr. oetker baking powder
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 tblsp ground cinnamon
- for the icing:
- 600 g cream cheese
- 150 g icing sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest of ½ orange
- for the pumpkins:
- 2-3 drops dr. oetker red food colour
- 250 g dr. oetker golden marzipan
- 36 cloves
- Heat the oven to 180°C (Gas 4). Grease and line two 20cm loose-based cake tins. In a bowl, whisk together the oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Fold in the sultanas, walnuts, pumpkin, orange juice and zests. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and spices, and mix to combine.
- Divide between the tins, bake for 40-45 mins, or until springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tins, then turn out onto wire racks until completely cool.
- For the icing, whisk together the cream cheese, icing sugar, lemon zest and juices until light and thick. Use half to sandwich the cakes together, and spread the remainder on top.
- For the pumpkins mix 2-3 drops of red food colouring into the marzipan (wear gloves) and make into 12 balls. Use the back of a knife to make indents; add cloves for stalks and eyes.
More by Dr Oetker:
- Peanut Caramel Puddings with Chocolate Sauce
- Millionaire's Muffins
- Surprise Inside Caramel Cupcake Centres