- 8 large spicy sausages
- 600 g butternut squash (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 3 red onions (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp caraway seeds
- salt and pepper
- 450 ml chicken gravy (shop bought)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix the squash, olive oil, salt and pepper and caraway seeds in a large roasting tin.
- Add the sausages and roast for 20 minutes until the sausages are browned and the squash is softened and starting to crisp.
- Stir in the gravy and return to the oven for a few minutes until the gravy starts to bubble.
- Serve immediately with colcannon or mash potato.
There are a number if Irish butchers who are now making boerewors, but any good spicy sausage will work. This recipe is ridiculously simple, but it rocks! The caraway seeds give a nod and a wink to our German heritage. Serve with traditional colcannon for Halloween.
Delish by Rozanne Stevens is available from all good book stores and also online at www.rozannestevens.com (RRP €19.50).