A zingy, sweet and simple recipe from Odlums
- 125 g /4oz odlums self raising flour
- 4 eggs (separated)
- pinch of salt
- 125 g /4oz caster sugar
- rind of 1 lemon
- 250 ml carton cream (whipped)
- lemon curd
- 200 g carton cream cheese
- 50 /2oz shamrock flaked almonds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5). Grease and base line two 18 -20cms/7 -8 “ sandwich tins with greaseproof paper.
- Put the egg whites into a large clean dry bowl, add a pinch of salt. Beat until mixture is stiff and dry looking in appearance. Add the sugar and continue beating until thick and shiny. Finally beat in egg yolks until thick and trail of beaters remain. Sieve the flour and gradually add to the egg mixture folding it in with a metal spoon. Lastly, fold in the lemon rind.
- Divide evenly between the prepared tins. Bake for 20 minutes approx, until well risen and springs back when gently touched. Take out of oven and turn onto wire tray, remove lining paper immediately. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds.
- Then make the cream: Beat the lemon curd and cream cheese well together. Whip the cream and fold it into the lemon and cheese mixture
- When sponge is cold cut each sandwich in half horizontally, giving 4 layers..
- Sandwich all of the layers with two thirds of the lemon cream. Spread remainder over the entire cake and sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Covering the top and sides of cake.