- 200 g /7oz odlums self raising flour
- 200 g /7oz butter (at room temperature)
- 200 g /7oz caster sugar
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 2 tblsp milk
- 125 g /4oz butter (room temperature)
- 175 g /6oz icing sugar
- few drops vanilla essence (optional)
- jar of good quality raspberry jam
- icing sugar for dredging
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease and base line two 18-20cm/ 7-8 inch sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to form a smooth soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a wire tray or cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Spread the butter cream over the base of one of the sponges, spread the jam over the other and sandwich the two.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days