A great recipe from MasterChef Ireland finalist, Brídín Carey
- for the shortbread biscuits:
- 115 g unsalted butter
- 55 g caster
- 170 g plain flour
- 0.5 vanilla pod
- zest of 2 oranges
- wild sumac
- for the orange blossom air:
- 300 g organic natural yogurt - moonshine
- 100 g double cream
- 20 g caster sugar
- 2 leaves gelatin soaked
- 10 drops orange oil
- wild sumac
- for the passionfruit panna cotta:
- 300 g passionfruit puree
- 70 g caster sugar
- 4 leaves gelatin soaked
- 50 ml double cream
- for the blackcurrant sorbet:
- 350 g water
- 100 g sugar
- 25 g inverted sugar
- 1 tsp dried elderflower
- 500 g blackcurrant puree
- to serve:
- fresh elderflower leaves and flowers
- wild sumac
- lemon thyme
- For the blackcurrant sorbet: Combine the water, blackcurrant puree, elderflower and sugar in a saucepan. Heat through to dissolve sugar and infuse elderflower. Strain through fine sieve. Transfer to an ice cream machine and churn till set. Transfer to freezer.
- For the panna cotta: Mix the passion fruit, sugar and cream with whisk.
- Soak gelatin in water. Heat 10ml cream and add drained gelatin leaves, stir to combine. Pour into small killin jars or serving dish 2/3’s full and transfer to fridge to set.
- For the orange foam: Soak gelatin to remove excess water. Place cream (reserving 10ml), natural yogurt, sugar and oil in bowl and whisk to combine. Place drained gelatin in heated cream to dissolve then add to rest of mix. Pour into ½ litre cream whipper, secure the lid and charge the whipper with two gas charges. Shake and place in fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- For the biscuits: Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and orange zest until pale and well combined in mixer. Add flour and combine. Transfer to clingfilm and refrigerate for 30mins - 1hour. Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Cut shortbread discs into ½ cm thick slices using ring cutter and sprinkle with sumac. Bake for 12 minutes, checking continuously for colouring, cool on wire rack.
- To serve: Place elderflower and leaves on plate. Shake the orange blossom air vigorously, dip in hot water if too set. Squirt the blossom air on top of the panna cotta and garnish with wild sumac and thyme.
- Serve killin jar on plate alongside shortbread biscuits and rocher of blackcurrant sorbet on large spoon.
Note: stock imagery from Thinkstock
More by Bridín Carey:
- Seared Fillet of Irish Beef with Béarnaise Sauce and Twice Cooked Chips
- Cauliflower Soup, smoked haddock, hazelnuts and spring leaf
- Dressed Razor Clams with Salt Cod and Crab Fritters and Scallops