Gordon says: "You'll find versions of this recipe all across Asia, and it shows how good fast food can be. Because you are cooking over a high heat, it's important to work quickly and keep everything moving around the wok, especially once the garlic has been added, as it will burn easily and taste bitter. Flattening the chicken not only means it will cook more quickly, but helps to tenderise it too."
200 g flat, wide rice noodles (similar in shape to tagliatelle)
250 g chicken breast fillet
flavourless oil, e.g. groundnut, for stir-frying
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
200 g tender stem broccoli, cut in half lengthways
about 2 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
2 eggs, beaten
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
wedges of lime, to serve
- If using dried noodles, soak them in warm water until softened, according to packet instructions. (This will take about 10 minutes, depending on the brand.)
- Meanwhile, butterfly the chicken fillet by slicing through it horizontally, but leaving it joined down one side, then open it out. Flatten it with a rolling pin, then cut it diagonally into strips.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and add a dash of oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and stir-fry for about 3 minutes until golden brown all over but not quite cooked through.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the broccoli and continue to stir-fry for a few minutes until tender; add the soy sauce to season. When the broccoli is tender, remove the contents of the wok and set them to one side. Wipe out the wok, add a dash of oil and heat through.
- Drain the soaked noodles. Add the eggs to the hot wok, season and stir over the heat, allowing the bottom of the egg to cook. Add the noodles and toss well, breaking up the egg as you do so. Return the chicken and broccoli mixture to the wok and heat through, stir-frying over a medium heat.
- Serve the noodles immediately with wedges of lime to squeeze on top.
© Gordon Ramsay 2012. Recipe extracted from Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course by Gordon Ramsay, published on 30th August by Hodder & Stoughton, £25
Photography copyright © Anders Schønnemann 2012