Catherine says: "Yoghurt ice cream is incredibly popular in every local gelateria. I really like the blend of tartness from the yoghurt and sweetness from the fruit, and it's pretty healthy too. Try pomegranate in this recipe - it's a great mediterranean flavour that blends well with the natural yoghurt."
- 200 g blackberries, washed
- 200 g raspberries, washed
- 600 ml good-quality natural yoghurt
- 150 ml honey
- Purée all the ingredients together in a food processor or with a hand blender. Place in an ice cream machine and freeze as per the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively, if you don't have an ice cream machine, place the mixture in a large plastic container in the freezer. Remove it from the freezer every half hour and give it a thorough mix in a food processor or by hand and refreeze. Repeat this about four times, or until the ice cream is frozen and smooth.
Keeping it local: Blend sweetened poached peach purée with ardsallagh goats yoghurt to make a lovely, delicious marbled yoghurt ice cream.
Recipe taken from Catherine Fulvio's Eat Like An Italian, published by Gill & Macmillian
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Mediterranean Monkfish with Pesto Trapanese
- Ballyknocken Daube of Wicklow Beef: Fulvio
- DIY Baked potatoes