- 350 g firm (not silken) tofu (get this from a chinese/asian supermarket)
- 0.50 onion (finely chopped)
- 8 mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 sheet of fried beancurd (abura-age) (finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped or grated
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- ginger – grated (enough to fill a teaspoon)
- seasoning ingredients
- soy sauce (use kikkoman if possible, 1½ tablespoons)
- 1 tsp chilli-bean sauce (toban djan)
- 1/2 cup kombu stock (usually a powder, available from chinese/asian shop. some brands contain lactose – but most don't!)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- cut tofu in 2cm cubes.
- place in sieve to allow some drainage (you don’t want it too wet – or completely dry).
- mix seasoning ingredients well.
- heat oil in a wok and cook the ginger, garlic and onion.
- when onions get tender, add tofu and the beancurd and gently stirfry so you don’t break the tofu.
- add the seasoning, and stir well. Cook for a while (say, 10-15 mins).
- serve hot with (in separate bowls) soup and rice (try a sprinkle of Yukari flavouring on the rice)
This recipe is suitable for vegans.