To mark National Potato Day, which takes place on the 25th of August, I have put together this simple recipe. It is a great way to make the most out of your left over potatoes using some of Ireland's finest ingredients.
- 400 g cold mashed ballycotton new potatoes
- 4 slices kanturk blackpudding, diced
- 4 tblsp ballymaloe country relish
- 75 g onions, diced.
- odlums plain cream flour for dusting
- glenilen country butter
- 4 tblsp thinly sliced chives
- pinch of irish atlantic sea salt & black pepper
- Mix the mashed potato, tomato relish and chives with some seasoning.
- Carefully fold in the black pudding and onion.
- Shape into 4 patties and dust in the flour.
- Heat a knob of butter over a medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Cook the potato cakes for 3 mins each side until golden and the blackpudding is cooked.
- Serve with a dollop of relish.
- Serve 2 black pudding cakes per person, topped with a dollop of tomato relish.
For an extra treat, fry an egg and place it over the potato cakes for a delicious weekend treat.