- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh sage, chopped
- 100 ml water
- 1 kg pork belly, rind removed
- 150 ml dry cider or ale
- 8 whole cloves
- pinch ground all-spice
- pinch ground cinnamon
- pinch cracked black pepper & a pinch rock salt
- 75 g demerara sugar
- Place the sliced onion in single layer in the base of a roasting tin.
- Sprinkle with the garlic and half the sage, then pour in the water.
- Sit thepork belly on top then splash with the cider. Sprinkle with the remaining sage, spices and seasoning, then cover the whole dish tightly with foil.
- Cook in the oven for two and half hours.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven, take away the foil, pour off any liquid, and sprinkle the sugar on top of the pork.
- Increase oven to 200ºC and return the pork to the oven for 30 minutes or until glazed and golden,
- Remove pork to a warm plate, slice thickly and serve.