A great idea for a heartwarming family dinner!
- 225g puff pastry
- 1 whole chicken
- 100g butter
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 250ml single cream
- sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 6 fresh sage leaves or ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 large leeks, thoroughly rinsed and finely sliced
- 4 small shallots, cut in half length ways
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp green peppercorns
- 1 glass white wine
- 400ml chicken stock 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg, beaten
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface to 28 x 20cm and 5mm thick. Place on a tray or large plate and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Joint the chicken into drumsticks and thighs, the breasts cut into four pieces on the bone and the backbone of the chicken cut into two pieces. (Ask your butcher to do this for you.)
- Heat half the butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a casserole pot, add the chunks of chicken and garlic cloves and brown on all sides so you get a rich brown colour. Now pour over 200ml cream, bring to a gentle simmer and continue to cook for 20 minutes. The cream will split and separate to flavour the chicken and tenderise it. After 20 minutes, add the chopped rosemary, sage leaves and salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring gently for a further 10 minutes before turning off the heat and covering. Leave to rest and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas mark 5. In a saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil and butter.
- Add the celery, leeks and shallots and place on to a moderate heat to cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Now add the mushrooms and cook until lightly coloured. Add the flour and green peppercorns and cook the flour until it gets to a straw colour. Pour in the glass of wine, stirring to avoid lumps forming. Add the chicken stock and a bay leaf. Bring this mixture to a rolling simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pull chunks of chicken off the bones and add to your sauce mixture with the garlic cloves. Add the remaining cream. Pour the cooled mixture into a 24 x 18cm earthenware pie dish. Moisten the edges of the dish with a little water, lay the pastry over and pinch to seal around the edge. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Place into the oven.
- After 5 minutes turn the temperature down to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4, and after 20 minutes turn the temperature down to 170ºC/330ºF/gas mark 3½ before cooking for a further 15 minutes. Remove and serve with vegetables.
Recipe taken from The Best Of British, published by Kyle Cathie Ltd