Allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving.
- 1 x 800g piece of fillet steak
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tblsp butter
- 1 tblsp flour
- 200ml cream
- 1 tblsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 4 large flat cap mushrooms
- 1 sprig of thyme, chopped
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and trimmed
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 140 degrees. Heat a pan with the vegetable oil until smoking. Colour the fillet on all sides until brown and crispy, season, then place on a wire rack in the oven for 30 minutes. This will give you a medium (pink) steak.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and add the onions and thyme. Cook with a lid on for 20 minutes over a very low heat until soft and add the flour and cook for three minutes before adding the cream, followed by the mustard. Season and set aside.
- Crush the garlic into the olive oil and drizzle over the upturned mushrooms. Season and bake in oven for 5 minutes or so at 180 degrees.
- Remove the beef from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the creamed onions, the mushrooms, watercress and potatoes of your choice.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Pancake Tuesday Countdown: Apple, pecan, ice-cream
- Countdown to Pancake Tuesday: Paul Flynn's P'Cakes
- Chicken, Chorizo, smoked paprika cream: Today Show