Looks gorgeous, tastes yummy - what more do you need for a summer dessert
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 drops of natural vanilla essence
- For the filling
- 1 punnet strawberries
- 1 punnet of raspberries
- 250ml cream
- rind of 1 orange
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1oz icing sugar
- other seasonal berries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas 2/Fan Oven 130°C.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment and draw on a nine-inch circle.
- Make the meringue in a large clean bowl. Whisk the egg whites and salt into stiff peaks. Slowly add the sugar, a third at a time, whisking well between each addition until the mixture is stiffened and shiny.
- Sprinkle in the corn flour, vinegar and vanilla, fold in gently with a metal spoon.
- Pile the meringue onto the paper circle and make a deep hallow in the centre. Put in the oven and reduce heat to 120°C/Gas ½/Fan Oven 100°C. Cook for 1½ to 2 hours, until pale brown but a little soft in the centre.
- Turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and cool completely.
- To make the filling
- Whip the cream with vanilla seeds, icing sugar and orange rind until thick. Slice the fruit if necessary.
- Peel the paper off the pavlova and transfer to a plate. Pile on the cream mixture, put the fruit on top, garnish with mint and serve.
Recipes from award-winning chef Neven Maguire's latest recipe book, Neven's Country Living, available now in all good book stores or through www.nevenmaguire.com Neven will also be appearing at this year's Bloom festival, check out www.bloominthepark.com
More by Neven Maguire:
- Neven's Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- Today: Neven's Chicken Risotto for Weaning
- Neven's Food Trails: Buffalo Chicken Wings