This is my favourite way to have salmon and is packed with flavour. Make sure to give this one a go!!
- 2 salmon fillets (skinned if possible)
- cajun seasoning (regular..not the extra spicy)
- 2 potatoes
- 1 handful of spinach & rocket salad (can be bought at most supermarkets)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 tomato
- salt & pepper
- oil (rapeseed or sunflower if possible)
- for the dressing:
- 1 medium sized garlic clove
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper
- Start by heating up your oven to 180 degrees for the wedges. Cut the potatoes in half and then cut the halves in half. Depending on the size you might want to cut them again. Place in an oven tray and season with some salt and pepper and drizzle some olive oil over. You can peel the potatoes at the start if you want but I never bother simply because it takes more time. Place the potatoes in the oven once it is heated up and cook for 20- 25 minutes.
- Slice your peppers and place in another oven tray and drizzle with more olive oil. Place in the oven about 10 minutes after the wedges go in and cook until the skin just starts to blacken and the peppers soften. This usually takes 10-15 minutes.
- Get your cajun seasoning and empty some out onto a small plate so the surface is nearly covered. Press your salmon down on the plate on each side until it is covered with the cajun seasoning.
- Now get your dressing ready by finely dicing the garlic and putting it into a bowl. Add the balsamic vinegar, mustard and the olive oil and squeeze the lemon in ensuring no pips go in. Season with some salt and pepper and mix until smooth.
- Check on your wedges and peppers to see how they are cooking. Give them a shake and place back in the oven.
- When the wedges are about 10 minutes from being ready heat up a pan to a medium to high heat with a small bit of oil. Once hot place the salmon in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. You want the seasoning to blacken so don't remove the salmon from the heat if you think it is burning.
- While the salmon's cooking you can slice your onion and tomato. Place on a plate along with a handful of the spinach and rocket.
- The wedges and the peppers should be ready by now so take them out of the oven and put the wedges on the plate. Place the peppers on top of the salad and drizzle some of the dressing over the top.
- Make sure you have flipped the salmon after 3-4 minutes of cooking and once it's cooked add it to the plate. Squeeze a bit more lemon juice over the salmon and your ready to go.