For best results, make sure the cooked rice is completely cold before stir frying, and piping hot before serving. Serve with sugar snap peas for no additional ProPoints values. ProPoints values per recipe 6.
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz) dried thai jasmine rice
- calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 cm (1/2 inch) piece fresh root ginger, cut into thin strips
- 6 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, peeled and chopped finely
- 0.5 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh coriander sprigs, leaves only
- for the dressing:
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- a large pinch of caster sugar
- Put the rice in a lidded pan and pour in enough cold water to cover by 1cm (½ inch). Bring up to the boil then reduce the heat to its lowest setting. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until the rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from the heat. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, still covered. Spread the rice out on a baking tray. Leave to cool.
- Heat a non stick wok or frying pan then spray with the cooking spray. Add the ginger and stir fry for 3 minutes until it becomes crisp and golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the cashew nuts in the pan, spray with the cooking spray and toast over a medium low heat for two minutes, turning them frequently. Add the soy sauce and turn to coat the nuts, cook for another minute until golden then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan, spray with the cooking spray then stir fry the white part of the spring onions, garlic, lemongrass and chilli for a minute. Add the cold rice, turn it to break up any lumps and combine with the other ingredients.
- Mix together the soy sauce, lime juice and sugar. Pour the mixture into the pan, stir and heat through. Stir the green part of the spring onion into the rice. Serve topped with the coriander, cashew nuts and crisp ginger.
More by Weight Watchers:
- The Morning After the Night Before: One Pan Fry-up
- Salmon burger on rye with horseradish cream
- One pot spring lamb casserole