Poppy seeds give this tangy cake a really interesting texture and colour.
- 110 g wholemeal flour
- 110 g plain flour
- 100 ml natural yoghurt
- 200 g caster sugar
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp poppy seeds
- 3 large eggs
- 2 lemons (zest)
- 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- flour to dust the tin
- 110 g icing sugar
- 3 tblsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin (21cm x 11cm x 6cm) with butter, dust with flour or line with baking parchment and set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture onto the dry ingredients and whisk well to incorporate.
- With a spatula, fold the sunflower oil into the batter, making sure it is well combined. Pour this mixture onto the dry ingredients and whisk well to incorporate.
- With a spatula, fold the sunflower oil into the batter, making sure it is well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes. This gives you time to prepare the tangy lemon icing.
- Combine the sugar and lemon juice until smooth, you may need to add a drop of water or a little more icing sugar to achieve the correct consistency.
- Turn the cake onto a cooling rack and spoon the icing over the top of the cake allowing it to dribble down the sides. Serve in generous slices.