- 400 g (14oz) beetroot
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 300 g (11oz) green lentils
- 150 g (5oz) feta cheese
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- handful each of flat-leaf parsley, chives and dill, roughly chopped
For the dressing:
- 3 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6). Trim any leaves and stalks from the beetroot and place in a roasting tin. Toss with the oil, then wrap the whole tin with foil and place in the oven to roast for about 45 minutes or so, depending on the size of the beetroot. When ready, the beetroot should be tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool before removing the skin with your fingers or a paring knife. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Place the lentils in a small cooking pot and fill up with water, place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water, then add the lentils to the bowl with the dressing.
- Add to the bowl the roasted beets, feta, red onion and chopped herbs and toss to combine. Serve straight away on a large serving platter for people to help themselves.