The wonderful flavours in this are hard to beat -salty fish, anise flavoured fennel and sweet, crunchy apple.
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut lengthways into 3–4mm (1/8") thick slices
- 2 apples (unpeeled), quartered, cored and cut into wedges 5mm (¼in) thick
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets, skin removed and flesh torn into bite-sized chunks
- 4 handfuls of salad leaves, such as rocket or lettuce
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a serving bowl and gently toss together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve directly from the bowl or on individual plates.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Steak and watercress bearnaise
- Ivan's chinese crispy mackerel pancakes
- Smocked haddock and cockle soup