A delicious recipe from WeightWatchers and only 3 ProPoints values per samosa.
- 350 g (12 oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm (1/2 inch) cubes
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- 1 cm (1/2 inch) fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 0.5 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) frozen peas
- 2 tblsp chopped fresh coriander
- 4 x 45 g (1 ½ oz) sheets frozen filo pastry, measuring 50 x 24cm (20 x 9 ½ inches), defrosted
- calorie controlled cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/ 200?C/ fan oven 180?C.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the potatoes, bring back to the boil and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small non stick frying pan. Add the spring onions, ginger, curry powder and cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute over a medium heat. Add the peas and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Mix the spicy peas with the drained potatoes and coriander then spread out on a plate to cool.
- Lay a stack of 4 sheets of filo on a clean working surface and then cut the stack in half lengthways to give 8 long strips. Keep the sheets stacked up and cover with a damp tea towel so they don’t dry out as you make the samosas. Working with two strips of filo at a time, place an eighth of the filling at the top of each strip. Bring the top left corner down diagonally towards the right hand side to form a triangle and press down lightly so the filling is spread out evenly. Flip the triangle over repeatedly, working down the strip of filo, enclosing the filling inside the filo pastry.
- Repeat to make a total of eight samosas and place on a non stick baking tray, lightly coated with cooking spray. Spray the tops of the samosas with a little more of the cooking spray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until crisp. Serve one samosa per person.
Freezer hints: If you’re going to freeze the samosas, do this before cooking. Freeze on a baking tray, loosely covered with cling film. Once frozen, wrap individually and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. To bake from frozen, cook for 25 minutes at Gas Mark 4/180?C/ fan oven 160?C.
More by Weight Watchers:
- Salmon burger on rye with horseradish cream
- One pot spring lamb casserole
- Chocolate and berry roulade