This Mexican dish is perfect as a light meal, snack or even as breakfast or a midnight nibble!
- 1 wheat flour tortilla
- filling of choice (see below)
- 50 g (2oz) mozzarella, grated
- 25 g (1oz) soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 6 black or green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 75 g (3oz) mozzarella, grated
- 1 tsp pesto
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 slices of salami, cut into pieces
- 75 g (3oz) gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 tblsp chopped coriander
- 3 tblsp peeled and chopped mango
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and sliced
- pinch of finely chopped red chilli (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients of the filling of your choice together in a bowl.
- Place a frying pan (large enough to fit one tortilla) on a medium heat. While it is heating, fold the tortilla in half, then unfold it again so that you can easily see the two halves. Place in the hot, dry pan and arrange your filling on one half of the tortilla, forming a half-moon shape and spreading it to within 2cm (¾in) of the edges.
- Fold over the other half of the tortilla, press down with the flat of your hand or a spatula and cook for 3–4 minutes or until golden brown underneath, then press down on it again to help it stick together.
- Flip the quesadilla over and cook on the other side for another 3–4 minutes. By the time it’s turned golden brown underneath, the cheese should allbe melted in the centre. Lift an edge of the tortilla to check. If it’s not fully melted, then turn the heat down to low and cook for another minute or two until it is. Cut into wedges and serve immediately
More by Rachel Allen:
- Steak and watercress bearnaise
- Ivan's chinese crispy mackerel pancakes
- Smocked haddock and cockle soup