Donal Skehan shows us his recipe for soda bread.
- 450 g wholemeal [flour]
- 400 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp bread soda
- a generous pinch of salt and of sugar
- a handful of jumbo rolled [oats]
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl bar the oats. Make a well in the middle and pour in the buttermilk.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine the wet and dry ingredients until you are left with a sticky mixture.
- Using your hands, form six balls of the dough and place on a floured baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the oats and place in the oven to cook for 40 minutes until nicely browned on top. You will know the bread is done when you tap it underneath and it sounds hollow.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slathering with a good bit of Irish butter and devouring!
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa