Gary uses Rogan's Whiskey Oaked Smoked Bacon for this delicious main
- 1 11-14 lb turkey
- 2 lb butter
- 500 g chopped rogan's whiskey oak smoked bacon – rogans
- 1 bunch of chopped fresh sage
- 2 onions
- 1 head of celery
- 3-4 carrots
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 l water
- Using plastic gloves and very clean hands push your fingers under the turkey breast skin removing it from the breast but being careful not to tear the skin.
- Soften the butter, fold in the bacon bits and sage. Spoon into a piping bag and squeeze it in under the skin.
- Massage it evenly over the 2 breasts. Place the turkey onto the vegetable trivet and pour the water into the tray.
- Place covered with foil into a pre heated oven at 220 C for 40 mins.
- Then for 2 hrs 50 mins at 165 C. Then uncovered to brown at 220 C basting every 5/7 mins.
- Cook until 75 degrees C in the middle holding temp for 2 mins. Juices should run clear. Rest for at least 30 -- 50 mins before carving. Serve and enjoy.
Gary's top tips: Only ever defrost a frozen turkey in the fridge. Cook until the turkey is 75 degrees C in the middle. It is important to rest the turkey for at least 30 minutes.
More by Gary O'Hanlon:
- Chicken Quesadilla with Sour Cream and Tomato Salsa
- Chicken Scaloppini
- Chicken Picatta with Broccoli, Champ Potatoes and Flat Parsley