This is a great lunch box sandwich or picnic pleaser from Rozanne Stevens
- 450 g leftover cooked chicken
- 1 small can diced pineapple, drained
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper, small dice
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 2 tsp colman's dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon or parsley, chopped
- pinch of chilli powder, optional
- 4 crusty wholegrain bread rolls
- flora light or original, to taste
- colman's dijon mustard
- 1 head lettuce, washed and shredded
- 2 frozen gel packs (the soft-wrapped ones)
- 2 large rubber bands
- This is a great way to use up some leftover chicken that you've cooked for another meal.
- Once chicken is cool, dice it into cubes and place in a mixing bowl. Add the drained pineapple, the pepper, red onion, and tarragon or parsley. Use your hands or a spatula to toss everything together. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and chilli powder.
- Slice open the bread rolls, spread liberally with Flora Light or Original and a little mustard. Stuff with lettuce and the chicken filling.
- If travelling, wrap washed lettuce leaves in a couple of damp paper towels and store in a ziplock bag. Pack the filling into one or more ziplock bags. Place a frozen gel pack on either side of the bags and secure at the top and bottom with large rubber bands. They'll keep the chicken filling cold and everything else, too. Cut rolls in half so you don't need a knife and cutting board if you weren't planning on taking them anyway. Return them to the bag they came in. Place everything inside a plastic bag that can function as a garbage bag if needed.
This a great way to use up leftover chicken, which is a good source of protein for repairing and building muscle tissue. Use skinless chicken breast for a leaner option. Plenty of crunchy peppers and lettuce add great texture, flavour and vitamins without loads of calories. Choose brown, wholegrain bread rolls for extra fibre and nutrition. A little Colman's mustard is a handy, low calorie condiment to add flavour to sandwiches and dressings.
More by Rozanne Stevens:
- Chicken Wholegrain Rolls: Food on the Go!
- Spiced Citrus Cake: Something for the Weekend
- Monica's Berry Baileys Meringue Roulade