A tasty vegetarian salad.
- 400 g tofu
- 2 tblsp sesame seeds
- 1 head oakleaf lettuce
- 1 large, ripe mango
- 2 tblsp soya sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tblsp sesame oil
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- 125 ml cream
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 tblsp snipped chives
- Cut the tofu into 1cm/halfinch slices and put them on a clean, folded tea towel.
- Cover with a board, weigh it down and leave for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a pan over moderate heat, turning frequently.
- Separate the oakleaf lettuce into leaves, wash and shake dry.
- Peel the mango, cut the flesh into thin strips and discard the stone.
- Drizzle half the soya sauce over the tofu slices and sprinkle with pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a pan and fry the tofu slices, seasoned side down, for about 5 minutes.
- Pour over the remaining soya sauce and season with pepper again.
- Turn the tofu and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Beat together 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil and half the lemon juice.
- Toss the salad leaves in this mixture and arrange in a salad bowl.
- Mix together the cream, the remaining oil and lemon juice, the ginger, honey and chives to make a dressing, and pour over the salad.
- Arrange the mango slices on top and scatter over half the sesame seeds.
- Dice the tofu, arrange it in the bowl, and sprinkle over the remaining sesame seeds.