This roasted vegetable salad is fab on its own, or served as part of a barbecue.
- 2 aubergines
- 3 red peppers
- 3 green peppers
- 1 red onion, quartered (skin on)
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 ripe plum tomato
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- good pinch chopped fresh rosemary
- good pinch chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tblsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the grill or a barbecue. Prick the aubergines all over and place them on a grill rack under the grill or on the barbecue with the peppers, onion, garlic and tomato.
- Drizzle over two tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle over the rosemary and thyme. Season to taste and cook for 10-20 minutes until tender and the skins are blackened and blistered, turning regularly.
- You’ll find that the vegetables all take different times to cook so just use your judgement, making sure that you remove the tomato as soon as the skin splits.
- Transfer the vegetables as they are cooked to a shallow non-metallic dish and cover tightly with cling film. This will help to steam off the skins.
- When they are cool enough to handle, rub or peel off the skins. Tear or chop the aubergine into strips, discarding the stalks. Remove the stems from the peppers and discard the seeds and tear or chop into strips. Cut the onion into thin wedges and sliver some or all of the garlic cloves. Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Combine all of the prepared roasted vegetables in a large bowl and add the remaining oil with the vinegar and parsley. Season to taste and stir gently to combine.
- Either use immediately or chill covered with cling film until ready to use.
- Just make sure you give it time to come back up to room temperature first.
- To serve: Spoon the roasted vegetable salad on to serving plates.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show