A fresh tasting and tangy salad with plenty of body and crunch.
- 750 g fresh beetroot
- natural sea salt
- 2 oranges (peel and pith removed)
- 30 g toasted walnut halves
- 2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tblsp fresh orange juice
- 1 large handful of fresh watercress
- Wash and place the beetroot in a pot with plenty of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 30-40 minutes until tender. Cool under plenty of cold running water and remove the skins. Dice into 2 1/2 cm (1in) pieces. Place in a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Halve the oranges from top to bottom and cut into 1/2 cm (1/4 in) slices. Add the oranges and the walnuts to the beetroot.
- In a small bowl mix the olive oil and the orange juice.
- Pour over the beetroot, orange and walnut halves and toss well. Check seasoning. Lightly toss in the watercress. Arrange on plates and serve.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush