Treat yourself with this mouth-watering dinner
- 1.5 kg bacon collar
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- ingredients for the mash:
- freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- ingredients for the slaw:
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- 3 sticks celery
- 0.5 fennel bulb
- 0.5 raw beetroot
- 150 ml vinaigrette (basic vinaigrette is 3 parts sunflower oil, 1 part olive oil, 1 part vinegar, mustard and honey)
- Method for the Bacon: Place bacon, onion, carrot, bay leaf and peppercorns in a large pot and cover well with water.
- Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours until a knife can be inserted without too much resistance.
- Method for the Mash: To make the soft mash, prepare mash as usual but be more generous with the cream and butter to achieve a rich and soft mash.
- Method for the Slaw: For the slaw thinly slice all the vegetables and dress with vinaigrette and season.
- Allow to infuse for 20 – 30 minutes.
More by Paul Flynn:
- Almond Oat Crumble
- Buttered Tomatoes with Honey, Orange and Rosemary
- Pork chops with creamy bacon and cabbage