A delicious light and zingy cake topped with a curd of citrus fruits.
- for the cake:
- 10 oz butter (at room temperature)
- 10 oz caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 floz whole milk
- 8 oz ground almonds
- 1 tsp natural almond extract
- rind and juice 1 orange
- 3 oz rice flour
- 3 oz potato flour
- 2 oz polenta
- 1 heaped teaspoon xanthum gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- for the curd:
- 4 egg yolks
- 100 g caster sugar
- 100 g orange (juice and rind)
- 50 g lime (juice and rind)
- 100 g unsalted butter (cubed)
- For the cake:
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Add in the eggs
- Add in all the remaining ingredients
- Grease and line a 10' cake tin with baking parchment
- Spoon the mixture into the tin
- Bake at 175°C for 40 minutes
- For the curd:
- Put all the ingredients except butter into a glass bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Stir occasionally until the mixture becomes thick. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Whisk in the cubed butter.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Spread on top of the cake.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones