This vegetarian dish is perfect as a small starter or bulked out into a wholesome main meal
- 2 round pitta breads or 1 large oval pitta (cut into bite-sized chunks)
- 5 tblsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 0.5 cucumber (cut into 2cm chunks)
- 3 tomatoes (cut into 2cm chunks)
- 0.5 red onion (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 small red pepper (de-seeded and cut into 2cm chunks)
- 2 tblsp chopped coriander
- 2 tsp sumac (optional)
- finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- pinch of granulated or caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Toss the pitta bread wedges or chunks in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 8–10 minutes or until golden.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl, add the roasted pitta pieces, then mix everything together, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Milk Ice Cream: A little DIY, A lot of Taste
- Chocolate Meringue Cake: A serious picnic bonus
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen