A healthy vegetarian salad, perfect as a starter for your Middle Eastern meal
- 4 red onions (peeled and cut through the root into 8 wedges)
- 2 large or 4 medium aubergines (cut into 1–2cm cubes)
- 150 ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 2 tins of chickpeas (drained and rinsed, 400g each)
- 4 handfuls of rocket leaves
- 400 ml natural yoghurt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tblsp chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/Gas 7).
- Place the onion wedges in a bowl with the aubergine pieces, pour over the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir together to combine. Spread out on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 18–20 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas in a bowl and season with salt and pepper, then make the dressing by mixing the yoghurt with the paprika and mint in another bowl.
- To serve, mix together the roasted onion and aubergine with the chickpeas, then place in one large serving dish or divide between individual plates, drizzle with the yoghurt dressing and scatter the rocket leaves on top.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking