An intensely moreish dessert, perfect for a night by the fire
- 125 g dark chocolate (broken into pieces, or dark chocolate drops)
- 6 croissants (slightly stale is fine)
- 4 eggs
- 450 ml single or regular cream
- 250 ml milk
- 150 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Scatter half the chocolate over the base of the pie dish. Cut the croissants in half and lay them, cut side down and slightly overlapping, in the dish, then scatter over the remaining chocolate.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour this mixture over the croissants. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar and allow to stand for 5 minutes before baking in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the custard is just set in the centre. Remove from the oven and serve (if you dare!) with softly whipped cream.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Steak and watercress bearnaise
- Ivan's chinese crispy mackerel pancakes
- Smocked haddock and cockle soup