- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 large clove of garlic (peeled and crushed or finely grated)
- salt and freshly ground
- 1 tsp turmeric
- black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 450 g (1lb) lamb mince
- 225 g (8oz) potatoes (peeled and cut into 5mm (¼in) dice)
- 75 g (3oz) frozen peas
- 4–6 pitta breads
- 150 ml (5fl oz) natural greek yoghurt
- Pour the olive oil into a large frying pan on a high heat and, when hot, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Fry, stirring frequently, for 6–8 minutes or until the onion is cooked and golden at the edges.
- Add the spices and mince and cook for 4–5 minutes or until the mince loses its raw colour. Tip in the potatoes and 50ml (2fl oz) water, then cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 8–10 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender, then add the peas and cook,
- uncovered, for a further 2 minutes.
- Shortly before the spiced mince is ready, toast the pitta breads and pour the Greek yoghurt into a small serving bowl. Season the cooked lamb to taste and serve with the toasted pittas and a bowl of yoghurt.